Monday, September 19, 2011

The Hummingbirds' Lesson

“And my God will meet all your needs according to His glorious riches in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:19

Hummingbirds should be as beautiful and perfect as they look. They’re not.
          I enjoy watching them at the feeders at my mountain home, but I have been struck by how similar they are to me and the people around me. I see these beautiful little jewels of God’s creation as greedy little creatures. Each one wants everything all to itself, no matter how much there is.
When threatened they go after each other in amazing aerial acrobatics, performing all kinds of intricate moves to make the others go away. They squawk and fuss at each other making quite a racket.
          I can be just like that when I forget I don’t really have a clue what God considers His perfect best for me. To my shame I have, more than once tried to force my own way when surrendering to God’s would have accomplished everything without strife and intricate maneuverings on my part.
The sovereignty of God is always at work. It’s not about me—it’s about Him, His plan and His purpose. My plans are temporary—His are eternal. My perceived needs are purely selfish. His knowledge of my needs is perfect. If I truly seek God each day and determine to accept whatever comes as being from His gracious hand, sufficient in every way, I am so much happier.
Everything He allows me to experience is necessary for maturing me and bringing my faith to completion. When I stop striving for what I want and accept what He sends I can feel His peace. I cease the maneuvering and fussing. I squawk less and hum more.
I want to be in the center of God’s plan, accepting what He sends into my life without complaint. I want His peace so even when I don’t understand, I can accept His best for my life.
          What steals your peace? What situations make you maneuver and complain?
Determine today to give those things to God and see what He will do. Choose to trust Him to always have your best in mind. He will give you more than you ever imagined out of His glorious riches.


Copyright by Norma Gail Thurston Holtman & http://2MefromHim.blogspot.com. All Rights Reserved. Do not use without express written permission of the author.

No comments:

Post a Comment