Friday, April 8, 2011

What Is Your Passion?

“O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones God’s messengers! How often I have wanted to gather your children together as a hen protects her chicks beneath her wings, but you wouldn’t let me. And now, look, your house is abandoned and desolate. For I tell you this, you will never see me again until you say, ‘Blessings on the one who comes in the name of the Lord!’” Matthew 23:37-39 NLT

Our pastor preached Sunday about Jesus living His life with passion. He asked when last time was that you were passionate about something. My husband looked at me and answered that it depends on the moment. I do tend to be a passionate person. I tend to form strong opinions and hold onto them. I believe strongly in things and will wear myself out working for them. But what our pastor was talking about was having a passion for the things of God, knowing and acting on His purpose for me.
One of the things we see Jesus doing in the last week of His life was weeping over Jerusalem, the fickle people who crowned Him as King one day, but would crucify Him within a week. Look at the tenderness of His compassion for those who would not see Him for who He really was. What a tender picture to paint, of a mother hen gathering her fluffy yellow chicks under her wings to protect them. He longed to come to Him, but they had chosen a path that would determine the course, not only for themselves, but for the city of Jerusalem and the entire world—the crucifixion of the Son of God.
He had a deep desire for those people who had heard Him teach day after day in the temple, had seen Him heal their sick and gather their children around Him in love, to see Him for who He really was. He wanted them to know Him as the Lamb of God who would willingly give up His life for their sake.
I believe I know His purpose for me. But I plan to search my heart this Easter season, to look deep inside and make certain I truly weep for the things that made Jesus weep. Am I truly fulfilling His purpose for my life as He wants me to, or as I want to?
What is your passion in life? Do you weep for the things that made our Lord and Savior weep?
Let this Easter season be a time of allowing God to reveal to you what is in your heart, and of showing you what is in His heart for you. Become totally focused on what He created you to do—and then do it.


Copyright, Norma Gail Thurston Holtman, April 2011. Do not use without permission of the author.

No comments:

Post a Comment