Monday, August 8, 2011

Straight Pathways

“Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight.” Proverbs 3:5-6

I was on the waiting list. This wasn’t supposed to happen. God had directed me to a career in nursing and now everything seemed to be placed on hold.
My parents were behind me, willing to do whatever it took for me to realize my calling. It wouldn’t be easy with three younger siblings. We weren’t wealthy, though we were certainly comfortable. After a summer vacation punctuated with college visits, I was accepted to Montana State University, three states away from my home.
Aside from my family, I didn’t want to leave my best friends behind. I had become very involved in a campus ministry. I wanted to remain at home for college.
As my friends readied to begin school the very next day, I prepared myself to accept that my prayers had been answered with a no. I answered the phone and was surprised to hear the caller identify herself as an instructor from the College of Nursing in my hometown. Someone had dropped out. There was a place for me if I still wanted it.
I didn’t hesitate. My immediate answer was a yes. It might have been at the last minute, but the Lord had given me the answer I prayed for.
That experience made me realize that God doesn’t work on my timetable. He isn’t subject to the schedules we set in place. His timing is His own, designed to accomplish His purposes.
I look at things differently now, with more hope, knowing I may not understand, but in the end, He will do things in the absolute best way for me. He opens doors where He wants me to go and closes them when He wants me to stay away from something. That summer had a profound impact on my life.
What situation in your life seems to be on hold and you have no idea where God is leading? What seems hopeless in your life right now—you’re apprehensive about your future.
Choose today to entrust the circumstances of your life to Him, trusting Him with all your heart for what He is going to do. Acknowledge that He knows what you need more than you do, and He will make your path straight before you.


Copyright by Norma Gail Thurston Holtman & 2MefromHim.blogspot.com. All Rights Reserved. Do not use without express written permission of the author.

No comments:

Post a Comment