Monday, June 27, 2011

Fire Insurance

“Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy…store up for yourselves treasures in heaven…for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.”
Matthew 6:19-21

Flames shot into the night. I stood on my back patio watching as a fast-moving forest fire consumed forest and homes sixty miles to the north.  That particular fire didn’t threaten us, but we had been under a red alert all summer.
The next morning a fog of smoke enveloped our mountain home, blown from the fire up north. Our turn could come any time.
            I read instructions on preparing to evacuate in case of a forest fire. I sent photograph albums to my husband’s office. I began photographing every room in our home, furniture, closets and drawers. I came to the grandfather clock built by my husband’s father. There was no way to save something so large. My treasured library was not high on the priority list. My three thousand year old Indian bowl had remained unbroken, would it fall prey to a fire instead? Even things I would take with me wouldn’t matter if it happened when I was away from home. The people up north had already been through a fire eleven years ago, now they faced it again. I wondered what they were feeling.
            How much value was I putting on things? If a fire occurred near our home the only thing that really mattered was if we escaped safely. My family all knew Jesus as their Savior—we were safe in the only way that really matters.
            I would miss all of my belongings, but none of those things had anything to do with eternity. Most could easily be replaced. But fire insurance can’t bestow eternal life.
            Jesus said that the things we treasure the most should be in heaven where they cannot be destroyed. I continued cataloging things for insurance purposes, but a change of heart was taking place. I was learning to let go.
            What do you value most highly? How certain are you that your loved ones are prepared for eternity if catastrophe should happen?
            Don’t let another day go by without seeing that you have done all you can to ensure eternal security for yourself and those you love. Get your priorities in the order Jesus would want them, today.

Copyright by Norma Gail Thurston Holtman & 2MefromHim.blogspot.com. All Rights Reserved. Do not use without express written permission of the author.